CELTIC PARISHES
St Kevin's - Ormond
St Patrick's – Murrumbeena
Please add a photo.
Please add a photo for your webpage.
Confirm
Are you sure you want to delete this?
St Kevin’s
73 Glen Orme Avenue
Ormond Vic 3204
Fr Paul Newton (Parish Priest)
9568 7365
8:30am-6:00pm Tuesday & Friday 8:30am-4pm Wednesday & Thursday

History

HISTORY OF THE PARISH

Aspendale and Mordialloc Parishes were originally part of the Parish of St Patrick's, Mentone. They became the Parish of St Brigid's, Mordialloc in 1949. Then in 1970 Aspendale became the Parish of St Louis de Montfort's, Aspendale.

 St Brigid's & St Louis became a combined Parish in 1999. As partnered Parishes while they still have their own identities they share a Parish Priest and so they also share many of their services and groups.

PARISH PRIESTS

St Brigid's Parish St Louis de Montfort's Parish
1949-1986 Fr Jim English 1970-1973 Fr Gerry Briglia
1974-1979 Fr Eames
1980-1990 Fr John Woodcock
1990 Fr Pat Purcell (administrator)
1990-1991 Fr Peter Waters (administrator)
1987-1999 Fr Joe Browne 1992-1995 Fr Bill Gill
1996-1999 Mr Terry Curtin (Pastoral Leader)
St Louis de Montfort's & St Brigid's Parish
2000-2010 Fr Michael Quigley
2011- Fr Andrew Jekot

OUR PARISH SAINTS


 St Brigid

St Brigid’s Feast Day is on 1st Feb each year - the beginning of Spring in Ireland. St Brigid and St Patrick are the patron saints of Ireland. St Brigid is also the patron saint for babies, blacksmiths, cattle, chicken farmers, children whose parents are not married, dairy workers, fugitives, mariners, midwives, milkmaids, poets, scholars, travellers.

St Brigid was born in Ireland around 453, eight years before St Patrick's death and in a time when Ireland was embracing Christianity. 

There are many versions of her life story and legends associated with St Brigid. It is believed she was born near Kildare. Her parents were a pagan chieftain and a Christian slave. She was named after an ancient Goddess Brigid was known for her goodness and her generosity, giving much of what she had to the poor. She occasionally gave away some of her father’s possessions and also the produce from the dairy where her mother worked. 

 

Although her parents would have preferred her to marry Brigid wanted to devote her life to God and the service of the poor. Legend says she asked God to take away her beauty so that she would not have to marry. Miraculously her beauty returned on the day she became a nun. 

 

She began a religious community (the first in Ireland) initially with 7 companions in Ardagh then moving to Kildare. This community grew and she set up many others throughout Ireland. The Brigidine Sisters have St Brigid as their patron so her influence still continues today. Many people are inspired by Brigid's story, and admire her as one who championed women, justice and peace. . 

She died in 525 and is buried in the same tomb as St Patrick. 

 

St Brigid's Cross


 

Just as the shamrock is associated with St Patrick, a cross made from rushes is the symbol of St Brigid. This is one of the most widespread Irish customs associated with her. Legend tells how she picked up rushes from the floor and began to weave them into a cross while she sat at the deathbed of a pagan chieftain. It was customary for dirt floors to be strewn with rushes both for warmth and cleanliness. When he asked what she was doing, she told him about Jesus and his death on the cross. Before he died, the chieftain asked to be baptised.

Crosses are traditionally made from rushes, but they can also be made from wheat stalks, grasses, or reeds. The crosses are typically made on the eve of St Brigid’s Day and placed above the door of the house for blessing and protection. 

There are many examples of St Brigid’s Cross used to decorate our Church at Mordialloc. Also one of the beautiful stained glass windows is devoted to St Brigid and includes many of the symbols associated with her.

St Louis de Montfort


Louis-Marie Grignion was born in Montfort in France on 31st January 1673. 

He was the eldest surviving child of the large family of Jean-Baptiste Grignion and Jeanne Robert. He grew up in Iffendic (near Montfort) where his father had bought a farm. He went to the Jesuit College of St Thomas Becket in Rennes from the age of 12 and after finishing his schooling he went on to study philosophy and theology there. He was then given the opportunity, through a benefactor, to study theology at the Sorbonne in Paris. He travelled to Paris on foot and on the way gave away all his money to the poor and vowed to live only on alms and become a champion of the poor. While studying he lodged in a succession of boarding houses among the very poor and after two years became very ill and was hospitalized. 

On his release from hospital Louis was given a place at Saint-Sulpice, a French School of Spirituality. It was here that he began to focus his study on the Virgin Mary’s place in Christian life and this later lead to his devotion to the Holy Rosary and his many acclaimed books on Mary and the Rosary.

He was ordained in 1700. He was a gifted orator and preached the Rosary and formed Rosary confraternities. 

After a pilgrimage to Rome to see Pope Clement XI he was appointed an Apostolic Missionary and preached for several years in missions throughout France, travelling from town to town on foot. He became known as the ‘good father from Montfort”

He wrote several books including:

           “True devotion to Mary”

“Secret of Mary”

“Secret of the Rosary”

He also wrote many poems and hymns.

Louis established free schools for poor children. He helped found the “Daughters of Wisdom” – who devoted themselves to work in hospitals and also the instruction of poor girls and the “Company of Mary” –a missionary group.

He died as a result of illness on 28th April 1716. Thousands attended his burial in the Parish Church at Saint-Laurent-sur-Sèvre and there were stories of miracles performed at his tomb. 

He was beatified in 1888 by Pope Leo XIII and canonized in 1947 by Pope Pius XII.

OUR SCHOOLS

ST BRIGID'S   http://www.sbmord.catholic.edu.au/

St. Brigid’s commenced as a two-room school on January 23, 1911. Mother Agnes was the first principal and was assisted by two Brigidine nuns, Sisters Stanislaus O'Keane and Ignatius Howell from Kilbreda College, Mentone. .The school had 33 students – 23 boys and 10 girls. There were three classes – Prep, Grade 1 and 2; Grade 3, 4 and 5; Grade 6, 7 and 8. The building was used as a church, hall and school.

Lea Graham of Barkly Street, Mordialloc was the first student enrolled at St Brigid’s School.

With constant staff changes in the school’s early years, the School Inspector appealed to Archbishop Mannix for more continuity of personnel. This led to the appointment of Mother Carmel in 1917 who was to remain until 1962 – 46 years of dedicated service to St Brigid’s School.

In 1953 further land was purchased for the school and the Albert Wing (four classrooms and a tuck shop) was built in 1959. The Albert Wing was blessed and opened in 1960.  Five more classrooms were added to the Albert Wing in 1973 and the old building used as a church, hall and school was demolished in 1978. In 1996 the Barkly Wing comprising five portable classrooms was constructed to accommodate the growing enrolments and in 1998 the Performing Arts Centre connected the two buildings together. In 2004 the Barkly Wing was demolished and new classrooms with teacher resource rooms were built and in 2007 the Albert Wing was refurbished. In 2010 the school received $2 million from the Federal Government under Building the Education Revolution (BER) funding and added two new modern classrooms, a multi-purpose hall with adjoining resource rooms, a visual arts room, modern student amenities, a tuckshop, a uniform shop, new rainwater tanks and improved grounds.

Principals covering the history of St Brigid’s include: Mother Agnes, Mother Carmel, Mother Declan, Sister Leonie, Sister Breda (renamed Sr Maree), Sister Justine Power, Sister Mary Brady, Sister Ged Lannan, Mrs Ann Korab, the first lay principal (1991 – 2001), Mrs Noela Hyams and Mrs Annemarie Harrison (both acting principals) and Mrs Kate Watson. Mr Michael Russo was appointed in 2014

ST LOUIS DE MONTFORT'Shttp://www.stlouisaspendale.catholic.edu.au/

In 1961 8.5 acres was purchased in Dolphin Street, Aspendale for $36,000. St. Louis Church and School buildings were commenced. 

St. Louis de Montfort School opened in 1965 with 85 students in grades prep, 1,2 and 3. Brigidene sisters in charge of school from 1965-1984. An extra class was added each year thereafter. 

In 1970 the existing chapel was converted into two classrooms and an assembly hall was built.

In 1975 Extra classrooms, toilets, and canteen area was built joining School and Church. The school oval and play areas were constructed in 1979. In 1981 two more classrooms were added and a portable was moved to the back of the school. 

1984 was a busy year with a Multi purpose room extension to include Art room was constructed. Double portables were purchased and placed in front of school. Mrs Jane Flannery was appointed as first lay Principal. 

In 1986 Classrooms were converted to an office, staffroom and library. 

1996 new School Offices and Teacher Resource Room were built, Library extended and old school offices converted to staffroom. Double portable classroom purchased with shade cover areas built in playground the following year and fitness station placed around the oval and play areas. In 1998 and 1999 more portable classrooms were purchased. 

In 2000 Mr James Whelan was appointed Acting Principal for 12 months followed by our current principal Mr Tom Lindeman. 

In 2003 a major building program to demolish and rebuild toilet block, extend staffroom, erect new covered walkway to link external classrooms, build a new modular classroom block comprising 4 classrooms and multi-purpose room, upgrade electricity supply, replace drainage infrastructure, extend asphalt carpark and relocate basketball courts occurred .

Over the next few years, classrooms were repainted and recarpeted and airconditioning installed. 

A Before and After School Care Program opened in 2006. At this stage the school population was 600. 

With computer education an integral part of education a major computer upgrade occurred in  2007 and the installation of interactive whiteboards began. All classrooms with them by 2009. 

With a major drought upon us it became necessary to install water tanks We received a grant in in 2008 to assist with this project and a sustainability plan was put into action in 2012. 

In 2009 the Federal Government gave $3 million to build a hall/gymnasium. This was completed in 2010. 

Our school population keeps expanding and in 2013 had reached 745 students in 26 classes.

© Copyright 2018 POL.ORG.AU