History

In 1851, Bishop Gould formally established the Heidelberg Parish – then designated the Heidelberg Mission.

Today, the beautiful bluestone church, designed by William Wardell, with its magnificent stained glass window, continues to service our thriving parish of over 1000 families.

In the early days, the parish boundaries extended as far as Lilydale, Healesville, Warburton and many nearby places, including Eltham, Hurstbridge, Bulleen, Yan Yean, Templestowe and Epping.  Today’s parish includes the suburb of Heidelberg, and parts of Eaglemont, Heidelberg Heights, Ivanhoe and Rosanna.

The foundation stone for the present church was laid by the Rev. Dr. Fitzpatrick, Vicar General, on 6 March 1859.  It was blessed by Bishop O’Quinn of Brisbane on 14 April 1861 and dedicated to St John the Evangelist.  In 2001, we celebrated the 150th year of our parish (affectionately known as St John’s on the Hill).

St John’s Primary School today stands on the site of the original weatherboard chapel, St Monica’s, built in 1851.

Over the years, it has evolved into one of the region’s most sought-after primary schools, delivering our parish children an outstanding Catholic education.

The Fuller Organ at St John's

© Copyright 2018 POL.ORG.AU